Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Nolan's Nursery: The Before

Well, here it is. The honest state of Norah's old nursery, soon to be Nolan's little man cave. I don't know if you're anything like us, but I am not sure whats gonna happen when we finish his room. We have always had a catch all type room that wasn't being used, and now that our house will have reached capacity, I fear we may lose the guest bathroom. 

As you can see it looks like an episode of hoarders; little girls clothes edition. That's because, I just went through the 8, yes 8 vacuum bags I had full of clothes that Norah has outgrown to find any and all of the gender neutral stuff we can use for Nolan. I was pretty excited that we ended up having one large load of laundry worth! Also managed to stuff a large garbage bag full of clothes to donate, so I did purge a little bit believe it or not. As of now, we don't know if we are going to stop after Nolan or possibly try for a third. DON'T EVEN SAY IT! I know, man to man is the way to go, zone defense is for the birds, but you never know and if we did have another, and if it were a girl, we would be set! Just have to organize and re-vacuum her clothes again, throw them in the attic and then it's on to the fun stuff, like painting (said no one ever) 

My current ideas and inspiration for his nursery are sort of like the paint in a Pollock. ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE. I think if I was forced to name a theme it would be animals. It's the one constant that keeps popping up, not one specific animal, or genre of animals, like jungle, woodland etc Just animals. Then you have baseball, I really love vintage baseball decorations, and also I just like industrial looking pieces like this shelf. Then there's the dinosaur thing, like this changing pad cover that I am a little obsessed with. So yea, the whole picture isn't exactly clear to me like it was with Norah's big girl room, but I'm letting the room work itself out. We are thinking a dark olive green for the top half of the walls, and maybe once we nail that down, the creative juices will flow and it'll come together quickly. I am also toying with the idea of painting his crib a dark rich blue with this paint I found online, that's pretty much made for that. I swore after Norah's room I was done with paint for the next several decades but what can I say, I am glutton for punishment who loves a good furniture project. Also, Norah ate part of her crib so it would take care of that, and possibly stop the twitch in my eye every time I see the little teeth marks. 
The picture hanging above the crib will definitely be staying over the crib as it has been over a Thornton baby's crib for several generations. Chase's Grandma Joan in Alabama sent us that when Norah was born, and it's incredibly special to us.  
 The book shelves will most likely stay where they are strictly because they were a royal pain in the ass to install. The little shelf with the pictures won't be staying. The giraffe picture is a sneak peak of some of the new decor. Rug will also be staying.
 Pinterest definitely got me with this one, the little cart from Ikea will be a diaper and essentials station that we can move around the house. I love the color, maybe it'll be incorporated into the room as well. 
 Aaaah the closet, I cannot wait to fill this with little mini man clothes! I am not sure if the little elephant toy box will go in Norah's closet or stay in here, either way I am still in love with it Lindsey 💚 
 You can't really see it very well, but the little cuckoo clock on the wall will stay in here as Norah now has a girl version Felix clock in her new room, thanks to her T.T. who worked for a clock shop. 
 The dresser we got second hand for this room, to be a changing table/ dresser, and I love it. So much storage! I have already begun organizing the inside, and let me tell you, it did my nesting heart good to roll those little burp clothes (thank you Aunt Doris) and sleepers. What is it about the whole nesting thing? It makes me feel so content and maternal, and yet at times it turns me into a raving lunatic (just ask Chase)

There you have it. I am hoping to get some painting done this weekend as well as getting Norah's clothes dealt with. Anyone have a great system to keep the outgrown clothes under control? Another important question, when the rooms in your house are all occupied, where do you put all the other random junk? 😂

3 comments:

  1. We do not have any spare rooms in our tiny house, but we hung shelves on all four walls of the laundry room, (two layers of shelves!), and that is our catch-all/extra pantry/overflow room. It is not cute what so ever, but it is organized...and the door is always closed!!!
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have to copy you guys! That's a really good idea!

      Delete