Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

My Pre-Pregnancy Faves

Happy Friday 
And on that note...


I was originally just going to make a master list of all the things I found extremely helpful/useful before, during and after pregnancy so that when/if Chase and I decide to make it a party of four, I can just dig it up and prepare for the craziness, but I figured why not share it so that maybe it will be of use to someone else.

Now, as we all know, if you are brave enough to google anything pregnancy related, you're going to get 1,000,000,000,000,365,657 results, that exact number. If you're brave enough to pinterest it, leave this blog now, we aren't from the same tribe. Just kidding, but with that in mind, I am going to do separate lists for the before, during and after, and I am really going to try and keep it to the items that were my absolute had to have favorites. So stay tuned to the blog for the other lists. 

Pre-Pregnancy Faves:

1) Prenatal Vitamins: This is a definite pre-pregnancy item, because if you're getting 400mcg of folic acid at least a month before you conceive and during your first trimester, you decrease the risk of neural tube (brain) defects by 50-70% I used these, and loved them! They are whole food, so you can take them on an empty stomach and it doesn't make you feel sick. I never got morning sickness, and I don't necessarily think it's because of this vitamin, but I am sure it didn't hurt.


2) Pregnancy Test Strips: I bought these Wondfo Pregnancy Test Strips on amazon, and I am really glad I did. If you're anything like me, once you begin trying to get pregnant, you will pee on anything that resembles a test, you will do it often and with fervor! Ha! Ladies we get crazy during this time, especially if it's the first time, so why spend tons of money on the schmancies (fancy digital preg tests) when you can buy 25 of these for $12? It's what they used in the ER when I worked at the hospital, so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. They are very sensitive and accurate in my own experience. Once you get a positive one, then go buy yourself a schmancy so you can actually read the word "pregnant" or "yes" or "your life is over as you know it" (kidding on the last one) in black and white and have "the moment" with your significant other. Also if you buy these you will need these.

3) Lotion: I am a big fan of using lotion all the time, but especially now when your skin is about to be put through hell it is very important to keep it moisturized and supple (I hate both of these words) Once I knew I was pregnant I went out and bought the Burts Mama Bee Belly Butter, but for some reason it irritated the crap out of my skin, so I ended up buying this lotion, and using it religiously throughout my entire pregnancy. I got out of it with only some pretty minor stretch marks below my belly button. I think if you're gonna get them, you're gonna get them, but I am sure lotion can help control some of the damage.


4) Alcohol: Don't get your panties in a twist on this one. In general you should probably decrease the amount of alcohol you consume while trying to conceive, but if you enjoy a beer on Friday to close out a long week, then seriously savor that beer, or you like a little margarita action, drink it like it's your last, it could be, for a long time! 

5) This isn't a fave but it occurred to me while I was writing this. If you have issues with your thyroid, get them under control before you get pregnant if possible. I have hypothyroidism, and take medication for it, and my first OB visit, that's something they asked me about, fortunately I keep up with it, but apparently it's something that can affect your pregnancy if it's not under control. 

That's it for the pre-pregnancy faves, keep an eye out for my next post about "First Trimester Faves."

No comments:

Post a Comment